Saturday, December 10, 2011

Australian Women Writers Challenge


Next year, I am going to take on the Australian Women Writers Challenge. To make it particularly challenging and to tie in better with the contents of my blog, I am going to try to read only science fictional books by female Australians.

The specifics of my challenge:

Genre challenge: Purist: one genre only

Challenge level: Miles (read 6 and review at least 3*)

* Should include at least one substantial length review


I'm excited! But also kind of glad that there are still a few weeks left in 2011 to finish the Vorkorsigan Saga which I'm in the grips of. (Only, um, 4-5 books to go...)

Book list

And here is my preliminary list of books/authors that I plan to read. The order I've listed them is more or less the order they occurred to me / were suggested to me on Twitter / I saw them on past Aurealis Awards short lists. Also, I think some of these will be difficult to acquire, so that will definitely affect my ability to get through them all.
  • Marianne de Pierres (definitely Angel Arias which is sitting on my bookshelf, quite possibly others)
  • Patty Jansen (Watchers Web / The Far Horison)
  • Kim Westwood (Courier's New Bicycle)
  • Maria Quinn (Gene Thieves)
  • 
Sara Creasy (Song of Scarabaeus)
  • Sonny Whitelaw (Rhesus Factor)
  • Claire Corbett (When We Have Wings)
  • Sue Isle (Nightsiders)
  • Maxine McArthur (Less Than Human / Time Future)
  • Michelle Marquardt (Blue Silence -- seems very hard to find though)
  • Tess Williams (Sea as Mirror)
  • Sally Rogers-Davidson (Spare Parts)
 I've put a link along the top bar thingy under the banner to a page where I'll be collating reviews and keeping track of the books I've read.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you on board. I think Australia has a very strong contingent of female fantasy/scifi writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it'll be fun to be involved in something like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or comment? Feel free to leave a response, even on old posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...